Tao Te Ching Quotes
Are you in need of a little inspiration? Something to help you push through when times are tough; something to help you keep moving forward?
Well, look no further my friend.
I have been a fan of this Chinese classic – also known as the “Tao Te Ching” – for a long time. It is filled with far too many great passages for me to write them all here.
So, to save you time, and like me, inspire you, I have compiled a list of twenty of my favourite Tao te Ching quotes.
The Tao te Ching was published in China over 2500 years ago.
Since then, it has inspired, influenced, and enlightened great thinkers, writers, leaders, artists, philosophers, and scientists all over the world.
From Lao Tzu (the author of the Tao te Ching) to Alan Watts to Thomas Edison to Steve Jobs, the Tao te Ching has helped countless people find inner peace and tranquillity in life.
But let us not get ahead of ourselves.
Let us get to know a little about the Tao te Ching.
The Tao te Ching (pronounced “dow dze jee”) is a collection of eighty-one short, poetic verses that collectively form an ancient Chinese text.
The Tao te Ching is ascribed Lao Tzu (sometimes spelt “Laozi”), a sixth-century BC Chinese philosopher.
Lao Tzu lived during a time when China was experiencing great social, economic, and political upheaval.
He believed that religion, government, and society, in general, had failed the Chinese.
In his quest to help China regain its humanity, Lao Tzu embarked on a spiritual journey of self-discovery.
He travelled everywhere, spending time with various masters and sages.
While on his odyssey, Lao Tzu dictated what would become the Tao Te Ching.
The Tao Te Ching was released in China around 2300 years ago.
It continues to inspire and influence people today.
There are eighty-one verses in the Tao Te Ching.
The Tao Te Ching is read from the right to the left.
The Tao Te Ching has been translated into multiple languages.
The Tao Te Ching is one of the most influential books in the history of the world.
There are numerous translations of the Tao Te Ching.
Some of the better-known translations include.
Dr Wayne Dyers Change Your Thoughts Change your LifeChange Your Thoughts, Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao
Feel free to check out the above links.
In future posts, I will provide you with more information on the Tao Te Ching, as well as the many translations of this classic text. You can see I have started here with the First Verse of the Tao Te Ching:
In the meantime, let us turn our focus to twenty of my favourite Tao Te Ching quotes.
Twenty of my favourite Tao Te Ching quotes.
1. “A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.”
2. “The Tao does not speak, but it is the source of all words.”
3. “The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao.”
4. “The Tao is infinite, and its wisdom infinite.”
5. “The Tao is the source of all things. It is the One that has no beginning and no end.”Lao Tzu
6. “The Tao is the great mother of all things and is constantly giving birth to them.”
7. “The Tao is the source of all compassion.”
8. “The Tao is the source of all justice.”
9. “The Tao is the source of all life.”
10. “The Tao is the source of all wisdom.”Lao Tzu
11. “The Tao is the way of nature.”
12. “The Tao is the way of the universe.”
13. “The Tao is the way of life.”
14. “The Tao is the way of the world.”
15. “The Tao is the way of all things.”Lao Tzu
16. “The Tao is the way of all beings.”
17. “The Tao is the way of all existence.”
18. “The Tao is the way of all creation.”
19. “The Tao is the way of all life.”
20. “The Tao is the way of all truth.”Lao Tzu
Tao Te Ching
I love learning from the Tao Te Ching. What are your favourite quotes from the Tao Te Ching? Please share in the comments below.
Leave a Reply